Analyzing Data with Excel
The main purpose of the course is to give students the ability to add BI techniques to Excel data analysis. The course goes beyond the capabilities of tables and charts and uses Pivot Charts, the Excel Data Model, and Power BI.
- This course is intended for students who are experienced with analyzing data with Excel and who wish to add BI techniques.
- The course will likely be attended by SQL Server report creators who are interested in alternative methods of presenting data
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Extensive knowledge of Excel spreadsheets including formulas, charts, filtering, sorting, and sub-totals.
- Basic knowledge of data analytics equivalent to having attended course 10994.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explore and extend a classic Excel dashboard.
- Explore and extend an Excel data model.
- Pre-format and import a .CSV file.
- Import data from a SQL Server database
- Import data from a report.
- Create measures using advanced DAX functions.
- Create data visualizations in Excel
- Create a Power BI dashboard with Excel.
The following items describe the outline of the course:
Module 1: Data Analysis in Excel
Module 2: The Excel Data Model
Module 3: Importing Data from Files
Module 4: Importing Data from Databases
Module 5: Importing Data from Excel Reports
Module 6: Creating and Formatting Measures
Module 7: Visualizing Data in Excel
Module 8: Using Excel with Power BI