CSM – Certified Scrum Master
A Certified ScrumMaster® helps project teams properly use Scrum, increasing the likelihood of the project’s overall success. CSMs understand Scrum values, practices, and applications and provide a level of knowledge and expertise above and beyond that of typical project managers. CSMs act as “servant leaders,” helping the rest of the Scrum team work together and learn the Scrum framework. CSMs also protect the team from both internal and external distractions.
What will you learn during the Certified Scrum Master (CSM) training?
We start with a brief refresh: the theory behind Scrum, rolls, events, sprints and more. We take a look at a Scrum Master’s core competencies. What does facilitating mean, and how can you best coach your team? After that we take a deep-dive. A Certified Scrum Master knows how to work with the Development Team, support a Product Owner and how to add true value to the entire organization. What does your role involve? What are you responsible for? And, what kind of behavior supports or hinders success?
- Scrum & Agile: what is Scrum, and what are the Agile principles and mindset?
- Scrum Framework: what does a Scrum proces look like? And, what are the Scrum values?
- Scrum Team: the characteristics of all roles within a Scrum Team. And, how to start a Scrum Team?
- Scrum Events: the purpose of every Scrum event, with a focus on sprints, and role of participants
- Scrum Artifacts: what are Scrum Artifacts and why do we use them?
To gain the CSM certification, candidates must:
- Understand the concepts of Scrum
- Attend a two-day CSM course taught by a Certified Scrum Trainer
- After completing your CSM course, you will receive an email from Scrum Alliance that includes a link to create your login credentials. You will use those credentials to gain access to the Online CSM Test
- Take the online CSM test
- Score a minimum of 24 correct answers out of 35 questions to pass the CSM test
- On successfully passing the test, you will be asked to accept the License Agreement and complete your Scrum Alliance membership profile
You will then receive the official designation of Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) from Scrum Alliance, along with a two-year membership with Scrum Alliance.
If you are already a Scrum Alliance Member, the CSM Test will be available through a link from your dashboard. Once the test is complete, you will be asked to accept a license agreement and your CSM badge will appear on your profile.
The CSM Test fee is included in your course fee; however, if you fail the test a second time, you will need to pay a $25 exam fee to Scrum Alliance before taking the exam a third time. Scrum Alliance recommends that anyone who fails three times, must re-take the CSM course before attempting the exam a fourth time.
- Project Team Members
- IT Managers
- Delivery Managers
- QA and Testing Professionals
- Aspiring Scrum Masters
- Scrum Team Members (Developers, Scrum
- Masters, and Product Owners)
- Anyone who wants to learn Scrum and be part of the next transformation
There are no prerequisites for attending the course itself. A degree of course completion from our Certified Scrum Trainer makes you eligible for Scrum Alliance’s Online CSM Test.
- Lean, Agile, and Scrum
- Scrum Master Core Competencies
- Service to the Development Team
- Service to the Product Owner
- Service to the Organization
- General Knowledge
- Agile Manifesto
- Scrum Foundations
- Scrum compared to Waterfall
- Scrum Values and where can you best use Scrum
- Scrum Roles
- Overview of Scrum Roles
- ScrumMaster: Responsibilities & Authority
- Product Owner: Responsibilities, Authority, Constraints…etc.
- The Team: Responsibilities, Authority, Teamwork & Characteristics.
- Impact on Traditional Roles.
- Scrum Meetings
- Sprint Planning Meeting
- Daily Scrum Meeting
- Sprint Review Meeting
- Sprint Retrospective Meeting
- Release Planning Meeting
- Scrum Artifacts
- Product Backlog
- Product Increment and the Definition of Done
- Sprint Backlog
- Burndown Charts & Taskboards
- Putting it all Together
- ScrumMaster Responsibilities and Skills
- Scrum Simulation
- Class Celebration & Retrospective
The following materials are included as part of the course:
- Attendee workbook
- Course certificate of completion